Sunday 28 November 2010

Washing Up

I haven't written for a while...
mainly because I have too many random thoughts running through my mind at any one time to select a particular tidbit on which to focus. Furthermore I have discovered that I am a respository of useless information. Still I feel that I should find an outlet so that I can keep my verbal arsenal ripe for potential sparring, scarring and other actions beginning with "s" (note the alliteration).

Also, I admit to being notoriously scatterbrained and almost luddite in my uses and abuses of technology. Yes, this despite working for a tech start up.

Ok back to the subject line. Today, I washed up about five times. Four of those times sans gloves. I also burned my finger when making banana bread so the sting of the washing up liquid was a rather uncomfortable sensation.

Perhaps I am a little compulsive when it comes to cleanliness...but that only benefits the people whose kitchens I frequent on a regular basis.

When washing up, I realized a few things.

1) Sieves are absolute HORRORS to wash up. It requires a process so much more complicated than merely wash, squirt, scrub, wash etc. This must be repeated several times. If someone gave me a sink of sieves to wash, they would end up with a sieve shaped bruise on their head.
Grrr.
I hate sieves.
(maybe more than I hate people who cut the crusts off bread)

2) Plates and cutlery are quite pleasurable to wash. Cleaning these items make the chore rather therapeutic. They are so easy. So much surface area to allow for quick'n'easy drying. Sometimes I only require a swipe of the wash cloth to remove the straggling water drops from the surface.

3) Shallow bowls are also quite pleasurable to wash. No - more to dry. For some reason, I find it calming to caress the belly of the bowl with my wash cloth in large sweeping strokes. It is the opposite of scrubbing, so I like to alternate between clean-ish shallow bowls and plates on which globs of hardened chocolate have found homes.

On a side note - I realized that it is much harder to take naps at furniture shops here than it is in the US. Sometimes people give you evil looks for sprawling yourself out on a sofa a few minutes too long. In this case, I return the favour with my bone-chilling death stare.
Hey, I lived in Russia, people...that's what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment