Tuesday 7 December 2010

This is Why you're Fat...europeans

This morning, I trawled through my usual news sources , after researching prostitution in Macau (yeah..for a legit purpose - I don't need a night job) and posting a blog about...wait for it...humans getting in touch with nature, and an organic existence. That was interesting, but realistically, humans are way too selfish to give a crap about that sort of thing.

Oil spill?
Global Warming?
Nuclear weaponry?
Penguin protection?

In an ideal world, we would care and do more about it than write about how things *should* change in our 45 page policy papers. However, I think that instinct for survival just kicks in. Let's kill them before they kill us, and all that jazz.

Yet that is not what I intended to write about. I do have a tendency to go off-topic before I really hit on what I want to say. What I really wanted to say is probably less interesting and less insightful.

I really wanted to draw a link between this and this.
Europeans pudging it up as MacDonalds rebrands its crispy chicken sandwich as a "Broadway Chicken sandwich"' to unsuspecting and gullible Czechs, ready to pay a premium for a real [freshly defrosted] slice of NY life.

I may have written about this previously, in my ultimate disregard for Americanized Chinese food, slathered in one of five sauces, tossed in a pan full of hot oil, dumped on a plate and harried out to hungry drunkards who clean it up faster than you can say MSG!

However, the infiltration of Czech society with Wall Street Beef really gets me hot and bothered - and not in a good way. Not that I'm anti-MacDonalds, or anti-American. In fact, I am a dual citizen of that great country, and I enjoy a filet of fish and some fried chicken strips every now and then. I am merely...surprised that people not only swallow this and lick their lips in satisfaction afterwards. It is, indeed, clever rebranding.

So is this why Europeans are growing their own muffin tops (or brioche belts? would that be more accurate?) No - people are just laaazy and the food in Europe is too damn good. Especially for carbivores like yours truly. There is no such thing as stopping at half a baguette in Paris, or even in one of London's numerous French-owned bakeries.

I don't really have a conclusion to make on this point. I am simply amused at this interesting rebranding effort, and now have a mad craving for a six pack of chicken nuggets.




No comments:

Post a Comment